Hi, My Name Is Allen...

Monday, August 22, 2011

And this is why I can't go to church.

So I went to church last week. Sorta. Not to the full three hours. I'm not sure I could have done that. I was late so I sat in the hall for sacrament meeting. One of my friends, who I had recently come out to showed up, so I talked to him. Like me he does not believe in the church, and not really in God either, but he just got engaged to a true believing mormon girl, so he goes to keep her happy.

We talked about what coming out meant for me, how it explained some of questions and opinions I had. He told me he has always sorta guessed that I was.

When it was time for Sunday school we went outside to keep talking. I haven't gone to Sunday school for 6 months and I wasn't about to break that now. Sunday school I find especially hard to sit through. I hate hearing the naive answers to questions. I hate hearing that if we just read our scriptures and say our prayers how God will make sure everything works out for us. Because it just isn't true. A friend recently posted on her Tumblr account, referring to those who were praying for the riots in London to stop, "Don't pray, think." And I love that. I feel that when we prayer for a solution it makes us complacent. Now we can sit back and watch what God does. It is never the prayer-sayers who find solutions. They watch while the thinkers solve the problem.

My friend was able to convince me to come with him to Elders Quorum. So I did. And guess what the lesson was on...

Eternal marriage.

I sat in silence as the teacher explained that Adam and Eve was the first marriage, and that God created Adam, and then realized that it was not right for man to be alone, so he created Eve.

That idea is horribly offensive to me. First because it makes God look like an idiot, creating all the animals in pairs, and then not thinking to do it for man, until he realized how lonely he would be. And second it teaches that women were not put here for their own benefit for mans. A typical white straight male attitude. Never having to question that they are the most important person in their world. I should have said something out loud. Instead I just muttered my complaints to my friend.

The whole lesson only focused on why we need to get married, and why marriage is good for us. Despite the LGBTQ community gaining more visibility, even in the church, it was never even brought up what those who don't fit into the mormon mold are supposed to do. Now it is a YSA ward, and the teacher may not have been properly equipped to deal with those questions, but I am tired of being whitewashed into the background. There is no place at church for me. It is for people who fit the mold, and want what the church wants them to want. They don't want to even acknowledge my existence.

I whispered to my friend that he should raise his hand and say "Statistically speaking, there are probably three gay people in this room. What are they supposed to do with this lesson?" He told me who would if I wanted, but I told him no. I am still worried about people at church finding out. I don't want to be the person everyone is talking about. But in a month or so I think I will be totally out, and then when I am at church I can make statements like that. Except I can say "what am I supposed to do?" and watch the teachers stumble over what they know is the church sanctioned answer because they know how unpleasant it is, and they know who I am. It is easy to condemn an unknown other to a life of shame and loneliness, but to do it to someone you know, a friend, is very different.

I might go back next month. We will see. My ward is removing all the inactive members, and putting them in the family ward, so I might go just often enough to keep my records in the YSA ward. But I'm not sure if it is that important to me anymore. I do like watching members try ti reconcile me with their own beliefs though.

When I got home I talked to my Dad about the lesson. Turns out he taught it in his ward. My parents asked if I had gone to church. I nodded but didn't say anything. They didn't ask questions, probably because they knew this lesson would be distasteful to me. They probably wish I had gone to church a different week. I asked my Dad about it later.

I said that it bothered me because it didn't even acknowledge my existence, and that it didn't provide a path for me. And he said, "but you know what the church's path for you is. You just have to decide if you are willing to do that."

It made me a little sad to hear him say that, because underneath the words he said I could hear him say, "And I think the church the is right, so that is also the path I see for you."

My parents try to be supportive, and encouraging, but they still believe what they believe. And they believe that me choosing to embrace this is wrong. I keep having dreams where I explain to them I am going to get married, and I am not going to be celibate. Usually fighting ensues. I'm not sure what will happen when I actually introduce them to a boyfriend. It will definitely force them to analyze what they feel, instead of walking this line between supporting the church and supporting me.


3 comments:

  1. Allen, I read this and I feel like I could have written the same thing.
    I recently went back to church to the YSA ward in a good faith effort to reconcile my doubts and find my place in the church.
    And I found the same thing.
    Do you want to know what the next lesson is? I'm going to spoil it for you: the law of chastity.
    Don't bother going. And hearing how the positive aspect of the law of chastity is having sex with your wife. Then, and we didn't cover this in class, but the manual mentions how the church loves "so called gays and lesbians" and reaches out to them. =. And...
    I'll stop there.
    I feel you. It's hard isn't it? That feeling that your existence isn't even acknowledged. It's been really difficult for me to deal with, not just going to church, but in talking to my family, who use doctrine to tell me why I shouldn't "be gay." They deny that I exist, telling me I only think I'm gay, that God must make it possible for me to be married (I'm divorced btw, I tried).
    Hang in there. It's hard. But I'm sure it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Those eternal marriage lessons were always the hardest for me to sit through.

    2. The "it's a mystery but you have to endure and God will make it right in the end even if you have a miserable life now" solution is so very unsatisfying.

    3. In the 1980s a PBS station did a profile of Mormon missionaries entitled: "Mormons: Missionaries to the World". In it, one of the returned missionaries commented that the MTC was a place to "express your belief; not your unbelief". So it is with church every Sunday, everywhere around the world.

    4. Why do we not remove our name from the records? I haven't been in years, and don't believe a word of it. But still, I just can't bring myself to write the letter.

    5. Hang in there friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alex. I know there are some MoHo's who reconcile who they are with, at least some parts of, the gospel but I can't do it. I think I am done with church. The motivator I can find to go is to see some of my friends, and to try to encourage people to ask questions that will take them outside the restrictive worldview the church teaches.

    Thanks Controller One. I agree on number 2. I think I can feel a whole blog post on that subject in me. as for number 4, I am running out of reasons to not write it. I might just do that. Not yet. but soon.

    Thanks for the support guys.

    ReplyDelete